Office & Retail Space
The Arlington Building is located on the corner of 9th and Washington between Broadway and Washington Streets.
Total Square Footage: 37,858
Number Of Suites:
Eight office suites on the 2nd and 3rd floors, two large office suites on ground level, one restaurant on ground level and one office suite and retail suite on the garden level.
The Arlington Building maintains its historical look while providing updated individual suites for non-profit organizations, attorneys and high tech firms. Each suite is unique with exposed brick, high ceilings and great natural light.
The ground level in this building has large window fronts allowing full natural light to shine throughout.
The retail level is currently home to Pacific Coast Brewery and AIR Lounge, an upscale night club in the heart of Old Oakland. The ground level is also home to Bedrock Media and Comrade Agency.
- 24-hour security
- Upgraded infrastructure – Earthquake retrofitted, façade retrofits to maintain original architecture
- Ambassador Service
- On-site attended parking lot and secure garage
- On-site property management
- Online work order system
- Lighted tree-lined streets surrounding property
- On-site free conference room for tenant use
- Club One Fitness Membership monthly discount
Originally named The Nicholl Block, The Arlington was built in 1877 by John Nicholl. Having migrated from Ireland in 1849, Nicholl’s great success as a farmer in Alameda County enabled him to finance the construction of what was noted as ”the first brick block on Washington Street.” When the building first opened its upper floors were occupied by the Nicholl House, later called The Arlington Hotel which the Oakland Enquirer called “one of the best family hotels in this City.” The Nicholl Block also housed The Grand Rule Bazaar (a stationery, book, and toy store), A. Jacobs & Company, Tailor and Hatter, and P.J. Nickolas Shaving Parlors. Later, the Oakland Tribune’s first offices were housed in this same building. One of the most striking features of The Arlington is the array of fanciful gargoyles that decorate its façade. These exquisitely designed creatures that “ward off evil spirits” were all individually reproduced and cast by hand, by artisans working right on the premises during the mid 1980’s renovation of Old Oakland.